Monday, September 25, 2006

Honesty

Apparently, honesty is the order of the day, even in light of things like manners, consideration, and tact, so I am going to be honest.

First of all, I am becoming increasingly more annoyed with people using their so-called expertise (citing their credentials) when trying to impose their opinions on me. Scenario: if, at my own birthday party I feel compelled to listen to a particular album while I get my drink on, let me fucking have it. Here's a newsflash: being in school to get a degree in music and/or taking .music theory classes does not mean your opinion of music is more informed or valid than mine. If you truly believe this then you should only watch the movies that Roger Ebert recommends. After all, he is the most qualified man in the country as far as film criticism is concerned. Now, I am an Ebert fan. I read his reviews on a weekly basis and have missed him since he begun his convalescence. However, I don't always agree with him. As a matter of fact, I have often strongly disagreed with him. The point is, taste is subjective. Whenever you unabashedly insult someone's taste (yes, especially even as a guest in said person's house on the day said person is sending off the most miserable year of his life), you can't try to pull rank by citing your profound knowledge of music. If you do, you forfeit all rights to expressing your opinions concerning literature around me unless you have a Ph. D or unless your Master's degree is from a more prestigious university and your grades were significantly better than mine. DO YOU SEE HOW FUCKING RIDICULOUS THIS IS? But I haven't gotten all the sarcasm out yet. After all, isn't music at least half about the lyrics, the written, VERBAL message? If that's the case then Denise and I were the two most qualified music critics in the fucking room because our Master's degrees in literature trump the degrees in process and the occasional music theory class that were vocalizing the law on Saturday.

Other observations from which I will create general laws:
1) Don't blindly follow your girlfriend/boyfriend's lead. Be an individual.
2) Don't get pissed off at your friends for telling you when you are out of line.
3) Take a good, long look at yourself before you point that goddamn finger.
4) Appreciate patient people. Do not take advantage of them.

Sorry if I've made anyone uncomfortable but I'm not into the whole passive aggressive thing. Plus, Newton was on to something with that Third Law. To every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home